Monday, April 23, 2012

Best Banana Bread

Banana bread is one of those foods that most people have a recipe for, yet every one is different (sometimes, significantly so!)  This is my favorite, pulled together from several different recipes.  There are a couple things that I've found seem to make a big difference.  One is using a mixture of half brown sugar and half white sugar.  The other is using buttermilk.  I've never had a banana bread missing one or both of these that I liked.  Also, I like to freeze my over ripe bananas and then thaw them to use for banana bread.  They look weird and slimy after they've been frozen, but it seems to concentrate the banana flavor, and they make excellent banana bread!

2 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup melted butter
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Optional- 1/2 cup chopped nuts; I love nuts in banana bread, but my kids hate it, so I normally leave them out.

Preheat the oven to 325F.  If you aren't using a DeMarle loaf pan (a product I HIGHLY recommend), grease your loaf pan. 

Mix together the melted butter, sugars, eggs, buttermilk, and mashed bananas.  If you want, you can sift the remaining ingredients together and then add them, but I usually just mix the salt and baking soda in first, then add the flour.  The batter will be nice and thick.  Pour into your loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Done when the center comes out clean.  Banana bread is always better the next day, but we usually can't keep ourselves from digging in!


No comments:

Post a Comment