Sunday, December 2, 2012

Cheeseburger Calzones

I whipped this up one day when I some ground beef and was tired of the same old recipes.  My husband claims it tastes like a McDonald's Quarter Pounder (only without all the ick!) and the kids devoured it.  I'd say that's a success.


First you want to make some pizza dough.  This is my favorite recipe, courtesy of Ree (The Pioneer Woman).


1 tsp dry yeast
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil (extra virgin works great, but regular is okay)

First I set my oven to "keep warm" which is 170F.  Sprinkle the yeast of 1.5 cups of very warm water and let it sit.  Combine the flour and salt.  With your mixer on low, drizzle in the olive oil, then the water and yeast mixture.  You might need to adjust the flour/water/oil amount as it kneads to get a smooth ball.  Roll in a little oil to keep it from sticking to the mixing bowl, cover, and set it in the oven.  Then turn off the heat and let it rise for an hour.  This makes 2 pizza crusts.







After the dough has risen, heat the oven to 400F.

Next I fry up a pound of hamburger with some salt and pepper, a diced tomato, and a diced onion.  Then add in some ketchup and mustard to taste.  I'd guess about 1/2 a cup of ketchup and a few tablespoons of mustard, but do it how you like.  Mix in a cup of cheddar cheese (more if you like) until it's melted.  Then add in some chopped up pickles.  Yes, pickles.  Don't leave them out.  I think I used around 4 baby dills.  Turn off the heat and get out the pizza dough.


Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.  Roll one portion out until it's fairly thin.  Add a couple of spoonfuls of the meat mixture.  Exactly how much is up to you, but don't get eager and overfill or the calzones will explode.  Or something.





Fold the calzone in half and roll the edges up, like this.





If you'd like, you can brush on some egg wash, but it's not necessary.  Bake for around 20 minutes and then dig in.


No comments:

Post a Comment